Saturday 17 May 2014

Why do all the good people die?

"I don't think there is anyone who can answer my questions," I was once told, "And I don't think you would like the questions I ask."
I have been told this several times before. I knew because I had been asked the same questions he would proceed to ask. Everyone I encountered seems to have asked the same questions. Questions that are triggered by the death of a loved one, being treated unjustly, witnessing or being the victim of suffering and pain, and several other trials that come during our lifetimes.
All of these hard questions can be answered, and have been answered in the Scriptures. As I've studied the Book of Mormon I have come to the conclusion that the words are not only the words of God, but are powerful. I've been recording these questions and finding the answers to them as I study the Book of Mormon every day. I know the words in it are true and that you can find your own answers to questions through its words. My blog posts will be mainly about the questions that I have been asked and the answers I have had through the words of the book of mormon.

Why do all the good people die?

I think this is one of the most common and yet difficult questions to answer. As we understand God's plan for us, "the sting of death is swallowed up in Christ." Gods plan is called many things, and most commonly known as the Plan of Salvation.  It answers questions like "What happens to me after I die?" "Where did I come from?" and "Why am I here?", but now I'd like to focus specifically on the current question.

We learn from the Plan of Salvation that death is a natural part of life, like Benjamin Franklin said "In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death and taxes." Death can be a scary thing, especially if we don't understand what happens when we die. An angel revealed through a prophet "the spirits of all men, as soon as they are departed from this mortal body... are taken home to that God who gave them life." With this knowledge, we understand that we continue on, that our bodies and our spirits are separated and our spirits live on. Death is not the end, but a beginning of another phase of life.

We also read from the Book of Mormon that "And the days of the children of men were prolonged, according to the will of God, that they might repent while in the flesh; wherefore, their state became a state of probation, and their time was lengthened, according to the commandments which the Lord God gave unto the children of men. For he gave commandment that all men must repent;" To simplify, God lengthens our days for repentance, because this time is so short. Some according to Gods will need more time, others need less. It seems to many that all the time good people are dying, and the bad ones live. God does not condone or justify evil deeds, for "no unclean thing can dwell with God."

Throughout my life I have had close friends and family pass on and although I know that its painful and I miss them, but I know that we will see our friends and family again in the presence of God.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to ask questions and post feedback. Comments may take a while to show.